Wednesday 24 October 2012

Diary of a move: swirly carpets and leaded windows.

I am so bored now of the whole move thing. I am fed up of sorting through all our belongings, and trying to decide which of them could possibly be taking up 35 cubic tons of extra space. I think I've narrowed it down to either the stash of free eyeshadows and mascaras that I get free in some kind of free makeup bag every time I go back to the UK and stock up on No7 products in Boots or Orla's extensive felt tip pen collection. I haven't worn eyeshadow ever really, apart from a brief foray which involved a lot of orange eyeshadow and a misplaced belief that I looked good in it. But still I keep all these free eyeshadows because I convince myself that you never know, there might be a night where I want to wear it and somehow miraculously will be able to apply it first time to achieve perfect smoky eyes and not look like I've been the victim of a rather nasty mugging.

Anyway, I suspect the current source of my moving gloom is Rightmove. A week or so ago I vowed to myself that I absolutely was not going to look on it again until 1 week before our house-hunting trip back to Derbyshire. But Rightmove is the crack cocaine of my life; I keep saying just one more hit and then I'll stop, but I can't stop, and I know it, and it's making me mental. I started out, during the whole fiasco of not being able to get the kids into school, by saying I didn't care where we lived or what we lived in as long as I got the kids into a decent school. And at the time and maybe for a few weeks after we secured the school I stood by that. Then Stevie started saying that he felt we should really look at much bigger places because it would be a real shock for all of us moving from our big apartment into something tiny. And I agreed with him. Then I went a wee bit mad and started looking at places with pools and paddocks and stables for horses that I really would never, ever want to look after or clean out.

Then as more time went by I could hear the first rumblings of Stevie saying "actually it doesn't matter what size of place we live in: it's only temporary", and I knew I had been saved the hassle of having to clean an outdoor heated pool. Bugger.

Now I keep looking at the same measly 5 properties that all look like they would fit in our bedroom and are decorated in the style of 'old person non-chic' and I feel my heart sink. I'm spoiled. I know that. Nonetheless, I can't help but rank them in order of preference and choose an online favourite - which I can guarantee wouldn't be a real life favourite, and then I pretty much set my heart on it. And then someone goes and rents it before us, and before I know it, I am gutted at being beaten to some really hideous carpets, hiddy leaded windows, and the same 'Adams' fireplace that has been a horrid feature in quite a few of our Derby house moves in the past.

So now we are two and a half weeks from our house hunting trip, and after a quick little browse of Rightmove I am totally not going to look again until one week before the trip when I need to make appointments to view.

Maybe.


4 comments:

  1. Erm good luck with the not looking! All I can say is that other houses can come on at any time so will keep my fingers crossed that something slightly less whirly-carpeted will appear soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't looked yet and that's been like 2 hours, so that's progress!

      Delete
  2. I am totally living vicariously through you right now.
    And one of the things that keeps us from moving back to the UK is leaded windows. Seriously.
    And the lack of underfloor heating - how do people survive?

    Anyway if you do end up with a huge place in the county we would be happy to drop round and swim in the pool sometime.
    I can even get Sofie to make you some curtains (as long as fleece is you fabric of choice)....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God, I'm probably going to need fleece curtains. Can she run me up a few sleeping bags, skirts, vest & knicker sets, and maybe a fleece or two while she's at it?

      Anyway, who needs underfloor heating when you have an Adams fireplace? Though actually I've just Googled 'Adams fireplace' and patently estate agents use this term for another different very hiddy fireplace.

      Delete

You're not going to leave without saying something, are you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...